Warning. Not a fun post you do not have to read it.
1st Period.
It's been a rough day. It started out with 2 third grade boys "play fighting" in my class. It's a constant problem and as I went to call the office to inform them that I had 2 boys fighting and that someone needed to come break it up because I physically cannot touch them. One pushed the other hard enough that he fell back hitting his head on the corner of the doorway. Now it was no longer play fighting but full on chocking and trying to knock the other out. Luckily, there was a father right outside the door that was able to break it up just by telling them to (because they don't listen to me). Anyway, blood was everywhere as only head injuries can do.
2nd Period.
Starts off late because it's Tuesday and all the teachers have a meeting with the Principal and their team during their planning period so every schedule is thrown off because the kids switch around multiple times a day. Also meaning the meetings always runs late so you have two classes one trying to come the other waiting to leave. The 702 class is my least favorite class.
I have them once a week every Tuesday they are 7th grade a have absolutely no respect. Here's the problem to truly understand you have to teach in the Baltimore. Teaching anywhere is hard. Teaching here tears you apart. My best day here would look something similar to my worst day at Madison Middle. Luckily there was no fighting in 7th grade today but lets just say only 5 out of the class are NOT failing.
3rd Period.
Lets just say by the end of this period I couldn't speak because if I did tears were going to follow. One full on fight that took the three adults that were in the hall way to break up with one teaching basically chock holding a kids while the other had two adults holding him back as he screamed, "I'm going to kill you!" Mean while the Vice Principal that I call about a half hour before finally should up wanting to know what was going on in my class. As soon as she left two more kids almost broke out into a fight because some boy told a girl she wasn't real. Mean while the Vice Principals comes back in and decides this it the time to tell me I should have my rules posted all over my room because they just don't know the rules.
At this point I wanted to tell her I quit. On what planet do I need to have the rules posted in more than one place. There are only 3 rules, Be Ready (bring your pencil it's ART, don't worry they don't), Be Respectful (Listen, no talking/tapping/noise while the teacher is talking, be kind, no cursing, ect.), Be Responsible (Clean up after yourself and table). They don't care because they know nothing is really going to happen to them if they ignore them. I can't force them to leave my room for a time out plus that doesn't help when they can only be gone a max of 15 mins. They might sit in the office and get yelled at, and calling parents does just about as much especially when the parent is now calling you a B right along with the kid.
4th - 5th Period:
Anyway, the 1st graders couldn't make it through a movie (I was done and not in the mind set to actually try to teach something) we spent half of class back in their room trying to sit down just to read a book.
Pre-K was fine they just constantly have to use the bathroom and you can't always tell a 4 year old no.
The thing that hurts me the most is that I hate what kind of teaching I am, if you can even call it that. On a daily bases there are fights braking out. On average I tell the class to stop talking for half the period my 1st-6th grade all do the same projects that my 1st graders where doing when I was a sub. It takes them 3 class periods to finish what took Relay Elm kids 1. Multiple teachers have said the behavior is worse this year than in the past. But the fact that the school system is set up in a way that it takes forever for a kid to get suspended I think only 3 kids have been suspended this year, is wrong.
I can't even imagine what would happen to me if I said F* you B* to a teacher while growing up. Let alone hit one or spit on one. Our custodian spends most of her day scrubbing lockers getting rid of the curse words. The bathrooms have trash dumped out and scatted all over the bathrooms (Weird but I understand why but none of the bathrooms have doors on them you can see into the student bathrooms).
Maybe I will teach again but I'm not teaching much here, never in my life have I wanted to hit a kid (until teaching here) or ever think about down right yelling so loud to their face which I now do regularly because I'm tired of being lied to never have I been lied to so often that I honestly don't know what the truth is.
Anyway, sorry if you read this I just needed it written down because I haven't written any of it down.
Also, I do a have few students that this post doesn't talk about a have some students that try really hard and I feel so bad that we do super lame projects.
No comments:
Post a Comment