Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Day of School

I thought it has been a long time since I've given an update so here it goes:

Today was my first day with students at Madison Middle School here in Rexburg.  I've been kind of nervous leading up to today because I'm the one in charge, which is kind of a lot of pressure, but I realized that I worry to much.  Even though it was a bit crazy when it came to my 6th graders (most confusing schedule sit up I have ever seen for a school) it went really well with my 5th grade and one 6th grade class.

I guess I will explain a little more about what I'm doing because no one really understands.  At this middle school it is only 5th and 6th graders.  That means their elementary is k-4th grade, middle school is 5th and 6th, junior high is 7th-9th and high school is 10th-12th grade, safe to say Rexburg Idaho is not an area that needs to worry about keeping kids in one school for as long as they can.

Anyway, I am teaching art at the middle school.  This is counting for my student teaching but I don't have a mentor so a lot of responsibility falls on me in developing a curriculum.  I am also have the responsibility of observing college students from BYU-ID that are taking ART 314, their practicum class.  These college students will be coming into my class room starting the week after potato harvest (got to love idaho) and teaching.  I get to observe, give feed back, and give input into their final grade for their class which determine whether or not they get to do their student teaching (once again lots of responsibility).

It's been a good experience so far as I have now dejunked the art room and organized everything, it took a good 5 days to do it all but it looks great and I now have a computer that actually works, files that you can find lesson plans easily, bulletin boards that have things on them, and every art supply with a specific place. Both my professor and principle where impressed.  My principles exact words were, "Wow! I can actually bring a parent in here and not be embarrassed."

I practically live at the school but I'm slowly figuring out how to manage things so I don't stay too late. Anyway I don't have much more to say about how today went other than it went well and tomorrow should be good, half of my students will be the same and the other half are different.  I'll let you know how it goes and maybe I will take pictures of the room if I remember.  Also if I'm good I will write about other things I have been up to lately, we will have to see.  

1 comment:

Claire said...

Sounds like you are doing amazing things! You are missing your first day of school picture, holding the paper telling us what grade you are in so that you can fit in with everybody else.